Thursday, March 13, 2014

New Skincare Find!

I'm unbelievably excited about this post!  So excited that I am taking a very naughty study break away from therapeutics (naughty because I have a exam tomorrow.... Yikes!).
  
So first off...
I recently signed up for a brand new beauty product subscription service called BeautyDNA.  This happens to be the first month of the new service and my first product from them as well.  I heard about BeautyDNA from the latest addition of New Beauty magazine, which I purchased at the airport in Denver, while on a layover, because there was a chance I wasn't going to get back to Indianapolis.  Side note: This winter has been ridiculous!  So to make along story short I signed up and waited for an invite to join when the program launched, which was earlier this month:).  The philosophy behind this service is their extensive questionnaire.  They not only ask about your skin, hair, and body concerns but also your opinions on ingredients and natural or organic products.  I wasn't sold on it after filling out the questionnaire but I liked the idea of the program and decided to try it out.

So how does it work?
Once you set up your account you will be matched with a single full-sized product each month!  I like that they are full sized and not samples.  The service is $25 a month and each month you will receive a product from one of their 3 product categories (Skincare, Haircare, or Bodycare).  This month I received a Skincare item!  A little birdie must have told them that's my favorite catergory *wink wink*.
I received the Pure Enzymes Exfoliating Mask from Cosmedix.  I have never tried anything from the brand so they were totally new to me. I had seen a few products online and saw that they use a lot of natural products In their formulations, I'm not a huge fan of all natural and organic products so I didn't
have high hopes for the product honestly.  
Please ignore random immunology book.... I was/am studying today.
Ingredients
Being the pharmacy student that I am, I HAVE to read thought the ingredient list before I try any new product.  I am impressed by this little guys ingredient list for 2 reasons!  The first reason is it doesn't contain any "nasties" as a call them.  Secondly, there are less than 10 ingredients in this product!  Now having a long ingredient list isn't always a bad thing but it makes me wonder if they are all going to be doing something good for my skin.  In the case of the Pure Enzyme mask. All of these ingredients have a purpose and most of those are skin benefits.  Also, its packaged in an airtight pump so the actives stay ACTIVE longer :D  

      

I'll start from the top 

  1. Pure cranberry purée,  this is the base for the mask and contains the "enzymes".  Cranberry is also antibacterial, anti inflammatory and full of antioxidants.  All things I like in my skincare.  What enzymes I cranberry actually do for the skin was difficult to find and I still don't have an answer for that.  It is possible that there are enzymes that will help loosen dead skin cells and smooth the skin.  
  2. Aqua, aka water. 
  3. L-lactic acid, exfoliant!  Here's the money:). This is an Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA), lactic acid is great for skin because of its gentle exfoliating effects.  Lactic acid peels are general great for skins that have sun damage and are used to exfoliate away pigmentation in med spas and or the dermatologist's office.  The great thing about lactic acid is that it can help moisturize as well and make it the star in this formulation. It only causes a light tingle on me but I use some sort of acid exfoliant daily in my Skincare.  It should be safe for sensitive skins but always start slow when introducing AHA's or any acid into your Skincare. 
  4. D-glucoronic acid, helps the skin retain moisture.  Glucoronic acid is a component of the hydration booster hyaluronic acid.  
  5. Benzyl alcohol, used as a preservative.
  6. Xanthan gum, a thickening agent to give the product a serum texture.  Doesn't really have any skin benefit.
  7. Superoxide dismutase (SOD),  an enzyme that has great antioxidant power.  Most likely will be used to stabilize the formulation and prevent the breakdown of other components.  If the formulation allows this to be absorbed into the skin it will help fight free radicals and thus fight against aging, it won't correct signs of aging just prevent free radical damage. 
  8. L- glutathione,  another great antioxidant.  As a pharmacy student I appreciate this one because glutathione is naturally produced in our bodies.  It functions as a scavenger and in the blood can a help remove toxins from drug breakdown and metabolism.  In the skin it will act as an antioxidant and prevent free radical accumulation.  



So 8 ingredients in total, 6 of which have proven or potential Skincare benefits.  It's a simple, somewhat natural, formula suitable for all skins and the best part is that it works pretty well.  I have only tried it once so can't fully review it yet.   I will say its a smart, but simple product that does what it should.  The Pure Enzyme Exfoliating Mask retail for $52 and can be found online at CosMedix.com, Dermstore.com and SkinStore.com

If you are interested in signing up for BeautyDNA to get your own specially chosen full-sized product head over to BeautyDNA.com to learn more or sign-up.  They are still in Beta right now so only a limited number of spots are available hurry before they all fill up!

Now back to the books,

-Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment